Friday, October 31, 2014

In Case You Make a Mistake

I’ve been fortunate to talk with so many interesting people, and to correspond with some who were not available to talk. You wouldn’t recognize the names of most of them, but they were far more interesting than most of the celebrity names you would recognize. Some have recognizable names, though, like Dave Barry, who was very kind when our grandson, the same age as his son, had cancer; or Frank Deford, who disagreed with my defense of 3 on3 women’s basketball; or Katie Couric, who wrote me a personal note thanking me for writing when her husband got colon cancer.

None of them compare, though, to the children at Bottenfield Elementary in Champaign, IL, when our daughter, Mary Beth, taught there, and when I was the guest author for their day-long writing fair.

Later, the kid wrote me letters, about 50, most of them decorated with quite lively and colorful art work. Mary Beth must have impressed them with my qualifications, for almost all of them thanked me “for taking time out of your busy schedule.” Here are some other excerpts:

Lynsey: “I’m The Blonde With The Blue Shirt and Flowered Shorts. Books Are Life! I would die without them.”

Mukta: “My imagination is like yours. You are a great writer.”

Kate: “I want to be an author like you when I grow up.”

Rachel: “The writing fair was fun, but having you come made it better.”

Natalie: “I think it’s amazing that you are a minister and a writer. Being a minister takes a lot of time and writing takes dedication. 5 years ago you also had cancer. Now that’s amazing!”

Sara: “The questions you answered were easy to understand.”

Marc: “Thank you for telling us about your life. It has amazed me of how you can accomplish so much in such a little time.”

Mark: “The next time I write a story, I’ll be sure to use your advice.”

Jan: “I want to write for the soul reason you do.” [Jan is either quite perceptive or a little off in spelling.]

Roger: “It really helped me to see how to get characters and settings. You said you didn’t consider yourself famous, but I think you are.”

Christopher: “Thank you for letting us ask you questions.”

Hans: “If I could remember the titles of your books, I would check them out of the library.”

David: “I was the kid who asked that question of how was it like having cancer.”

Jenary: “I have your autograph on my dresser. I saw someone buying your book.”

Kellie: “Maybe my next story will be about my two hermit crabs. One of them died, though.”

Lauren: “It was neat to meet a real author.”

The one I like best, though, is a little blond first-grader whose name I can’t remember.

“Do you ever make mistakes when you write books?” she asked.

“Oh, yes,” I replied.

“Well, then,” she said, “it would be good to write them in pencil, wouldn’t it?”

John Robert McFarland

Daughter Katie Kennedy’s Learning to Swear in America will be published by J. K. Rowling’s publisher, Bloomsbury Press, in 2015.

My novel, VETS, will be published by Black Opal Books in early 2015.

In case you missed it, a Tweet Repeat: “Language is a constant source of humor because we misuse it so much.” Helen Karr McFarland

I tweet as yooper1721.

I also write Christ in Winter: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter. http://christinwinter.blogspot.com/

MY OTHER BOOKS:

NOW THAT I HAVE CANCER I AM WHOLE: Reflections on Life and Healing for Cancer Patients and Those Who Love Them [AndrewsMcMeel & HarperAudio, with Czech and Japanese translations] Paul K. Hamilton, MD, the co-founder of CanSurmount, called it “The best book for cancer patients, by a cancer patient, ever.”

AN ORDINARY MAN [HarperPaperbacks] Randall MacLane just wanted to be an ordinary man. But sent with a message for Custer, he became a drifting lawman with a knack for killing, and a deep well of loneliness. Then a twist of fate brought him full circle…

THE STRANGE CALLING: Stories of Ministry [Smyth&Helwys] I didn’t want to be a preacher, but I made a deal with God to save my sister’s life. Was that really a “call,” though? I said, “I’ll try t for 50 years, and if I still don’t know, I’ll do something else.” These are stories of what happened in those years of questioning the call.

WHEN FATHER RODE THE MAIL and Other Stories of Christmas [lulu.com] ISBN 978-1-300-38566-0

If you like baseball poetry, take a look at “Frosty & the Babe” http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/frosty_and_the_babe.shtml


No comments:

Post a Comment