Friday, January 23, 2015

RUN-a review


In some post not long ago, I hoped, on page 53 of RUN, [Ballantine, 2014] by Andrew Grant, that Marc, the main character, would die soon so I would not have to read any more about him, because he was so self-destructive that he did not deserve to live.

I am happy to report that after that, Marc, and RUN, got much better…

…until Marc saves his wife from death, or worse. Her death is certain. In an heroic effort he saves her. But now she’s not sure she can continue to be with him because he’s the kind of person who kills people! And that’s not the worst! He takes a car so they can get away. “You stole a car?... That’s not the Marc Bowman I married.” He’s killed two people, to save her, and she’s worked up because he stole a car? I realize that characters take on a life of their own, but, really, can’t the author do SOMETHING to make them a little more believable and bearable?

And there are too many folks masquerading as good guys who might be bad guys. It gets confusing. Of course, it’s confusing for the characters, so it should be for the reader, but if the reader has to work too hard just to remember who is whom, to stay in the flow… that’s not a good thing.

With the exception of those two fairly lengthy and mind-boggling episodes, and the caveat on too many confusing characters, it’s a good story, interestingly told.

And the best thing? Most authors have trouble finding a satisfying ending, but he final two pages of RUN are great!


John Robert McFarland

I understand that Andrew Grant is the brother of Lee Child, Lee Child being a pen name. His real name is Jim Grant. If a man or woman named Lee Child wanted to take a pen name, could s/he be Jim Grant?

Daughter Katie Kennedy’s Learning to Swear in America will be published by J. K. Rowling’s publisher, Bloomsbury Press, in 2016.

My novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, will be published by Black Opal Books in 2015.

I tweet as yooper1721.

I also write Christ In Winter: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter. http://christinwinter.blogspot.com/

MY OTHER BOOKS:

NOW THAT I HAVE CANCER I AM WHOLE: Reflections on Life and Healing for Cancer Patients and Those Who Love Them [AndrewsMcMeel & HarperAudio, with Czech and Japanese translations] Paul K. Hamilton, MD, the co-founder of CanSurmount, called it “The best book for cancer patients, by a cancer patient, ever.”

AN ORDINARY MAN [HarperPaperbacks] Randall MacLane just wanted to be an ordinary man. But sent with a message for Custer, he became a drifting lawman with a knack for killing, and a deep well of loneliness. Then a twist of fate brought him full circle…

THE STRANGE CALLING: Stories of Ministry [Smyth&Helwys] I didn’t want to be a preacher, but I made a deal with God to save my sister’s life. Was that really a “call,” though? I said, “I’ll try t for 50 years, and if I still don’t know, I’ll do something else.” These are stories of what happened in those years of questioning the call.

WHEN FATHER RODE THE MAIL and Other Stories of Christmas [lulu.com] ISBN 978-1-300-38566-0

If you like baseball poetry, take a look at “Frosty & the Babe” http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/frosty_and_the_babe.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment