Sunday, February 1, 2015

MANY BOOKS-ONE BRAIN

My reading method drives some people, many of them in my family, crazy. I read 20 to 30 books at the same time. Many are literally “page a day” books. When I have a read a page from each of my books each day, I choose the one that I need to think about some more on that particular day as my “rest of the day” book.

I would probably do this just as a reader, because it’s the way my brain works, but it’s fruitful for me as a writer to keep a conversation going in my brain among not just many writers but many areas of thinking.

At the moment I am reading:

FICTION:
The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova
The Four Stages of Cruelty, Keith Hollihan  
The Husband, Dean Koontz
The Lincoln Myth, Steve Berry
Death in Nostalgia City, Mark S. Bacon
Fear Nothing, Lisa Gardner

NON-FICTION
The Opening Kickoff, Dave Revsine
Pastrix, Nadia Bolz-Weber
The Journal of John Wesley
Stories that Have Shaped My Life & Ministry, John Killinger
Outsider Baseball, Scott Simkus
The World Until Yesterday, Jared Diamond
A Generous Orthodoxy, Brian McLaren
The Future of the Mind, Michio Kaku
The Making of the Atomic Bomb. Richard Rhodes

POETRY
Aimless Love, Billy Collins
The Pocket Book of American Poems, Louis Untermeyer, Editor

RECENTLY COMPLETED

The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton
Seven for a Secret, Lindsay Faye
The Boson at the End of the Universe, Sean Carroll
The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Burbery
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
Dubliners, James Joyce
Hummers, Knucklers, & Slow Curves edited by Don Johnson 
Run, Andrew Grant

My replacement method, when I have finished a book, is simple. I choose another of the same genre, or whatever my wife and daughters gave me most recently for Christmas or birthday or Father’s Day.

Try it; you’ll like it. Or maybe not.


John Robert McFarland

Daughter Katie Kennedy’s Learning to Swear in America will be published by J. K. Rowling’s publisher, Bloomsbury Press, in 2016.

My novel, VETS, will be published by Black Opal Books in early 2015.

I tweet as yooper1721.

I also write Christ in Winter: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter. http://christinwinter.blogspot.com/

MY OTHER BOOKS:

NOW THAT I HAVE CANCER I AM WHOLE: Reflections on Life and Healing for Cancer Patients and Those Who Love Them [AndrewsMcMeel & HarperAudio, with Czech and Japanese translations] Paul K. Hamilton, MD, the co-founder of CanSurmount, called it “The best book for cancer patients, by a cancer patient, ever.”

AN ORDINARY MAN [HarperPaperbacks] Randall MacLane just wanted to be an ordinary man. But sent with a message for Custer, he became a drifting lawman with a knack for killing, and a deep well of loneliness. Then a twist of fate brought him full circle…

THE STRANGE CALLING: Stories of Ministry [Smyth&Helwys] I didn’t want to be a preacher, but I made a deal with God to save my sister’s life. Was that really a “call,” though? I said, “I’ll try t for 50 years, and if I still don’t know, I’ll do something else.” These are stories of what happened in those years of questioning the call.

WHEN FATHER RODE THE MAIL and Other Stories of Christmas [lulu.com] ISBN 978-1-300-38566-0

If you like baseball poetry, take a look at “Frosty & the Babe” http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/frosty_and_the_babe.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment