Friday, March 20, 2015

WRITING WELL all THE TIME

I’m always a bit stymied when it comes to titles for my blog posts. A title should be intriguing, but also informative. As a reader, I resent a title that suggests I’m going to get a joke about a chicken but it turns out to be a political screed, as in “Why did the chicken cross the road?” but it’s really about some congresswoman who was not courageous enough, in the eye of the one writing the title, to stick to her position.

So I try to intrigue with a title, but also inform the reader what to expect.

That is easier if I try to write well ALL the time, not just when I’m doing something BIG in writing. I pay attention to the titles of emails, not just blogs or articles or books. I don’t just hit the reply button and go with the re: thing. It’s just an email title, yes, but I try to give it intrigue and information. I pay attention to the emails themselves, too. I use good grammar and a full vocabulary. Why? Because if I am sloppy in “little” writing, I’ll get sloppy in BIG writing.

Paderewski, the great pianist, said that if he failed to practice one day, he knew it. If he failed to practice for two days, the critics knew it. If he failed to practice for three days, everyone knew it.

It is important to write as well as we can EVERY time we write, regardless of the occasion or the form.

John Robert McFarland

Daughter Katie Kennedy’s Learning to Swear in America will be published by J. K. Rowling’s publisher, Bloomsbury Press, in 2016.

Author guru Kristen Lamb says that author blogs are counter-productive, that a blog must be “high concept.” I have no idea what that means, but just forget about JUST WORDS being an author blog and consider it ‘high concept.”

My novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, will be published by Black Opal Books in 2015.

I tweet as yooper1721.

I also write Christ in Winter: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter. http://christinwinter.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment