Thursday, February 5, 2015

DON'T TELL ME I'LL LOVE IT

Recommending books is tricky, because reading is subjective.

I am reluctant to read a book that someone recommends with, “Oh, you’ll love it.” It puts too much pressure on me. What if I don’t love it? What if I read it and the book only confirms me in thinking you are crazy? No, say that you loved it, but don’t say I’ll love it. You can recommend it, but you can’t tell me how to feel about it.

Daughter Mary Beth recently called her mother and said, “Don’t read that book I recommended to you, mother. It’s awful.” It had been recommended to her by a usually reliable friend, and she had passed on the recommendation before reading the book.

She said the story wasn’t bad, but there were so many glitches. At one point a man stood up three different times without ever sitting down. And the clue was the unusual name of the villain, written by the victim in her own blood, but it turned out the killer was someone the victim did not know, and the villain’s name was unusual, but even while dying, the victim spelled it correctly. Etc.

Will Schwalbe, in The End of Your Life Book Club, tells how he and his dying mother recommended books to each other. Sometimes the recommended book was not enjoyed, but they read each other’s books out of love.

I suppose that sometimes we should read a recommended book, even if we don’t like it, because it’s a good way to learn about the person who recommended it. But, please, don’t tell me I’ll love it.

John Robert McFarland

Daughter Katie Kennedy’s Learning to Swear in America will be published by J. K. Rowling’s publisher, Bloomsbury Press, in 2016.

My novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, will be published by Black Opal Books in 2015.

I tweet as yooper1721.

I also write Christ in Winter: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter. http://christinwinter.blogspot.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment